November 19, 2013

THANKSGIVING DAY......SAVOR THE OCCASION




I suppose I was fortunate to be a child of the 50's and 60's. No, let me rephrase that. I know perfectly well, I was indeed fortunate. Thanksgiving day represented a reverence, a time to realize how much our family meant to each other and how appreciative we were of our home, our hard-working parents, the excitement of our grandparent's visiting, and of our bountiful feast. There was great planning and effort put into our family holiday dinner. We dressed in our Sunday best. Mother's dining table looked grand in the finest china, silver and crystal. There was real butter and real cream to be enjoyed. This was special, out of the ordinary and we knew it. You felt that special, warm feeling in your heart. We remembered as children, being allowed to have a sip of Mogan David wine in tiny crystal goblets. We shared the wishbone and laughed at the tradition.


The entire city was closed.
Grocery stores, retail stores, gas stations, businesses....everything.
This was a day for family and for prayer.

What happened to us? I saw this morning that people were lining up and camping out in front of a major retailer. Thanksgiving is more than a week away. The advertisements are bombarding us with "deals"  of things we want!" These people will not be home with their families. They invite us to be away from ours. 





We were taught to bless our food.  Daddy always said grace and yes, we shared the things we were thankful for. Looking back on these years, I realize how much I was blessed with. It was another tradition to take walks through the neighborhood after dinner. The leaves were falling, the air held a crispness and there was the lovely aroma of firewood burning. It was during the gloaming of the day.

We continued these traditions with our own children. I know they will look back on this day and smile with their own sweet memories. There will come a time when we will no longer be here and they will need to continue to make Thanksgiving day special with their children. I love traditions. They are the foundation of the family unit. How sad that our society is missing this.
There is a changing culture from the times in which Darling and I grew up.
There is nothing that you need, my darlings,
 other than your health and your family.
Savor the day......there are no "do-overs" in life.

7 comments:

  1. On my lunch break and this is so spot on! I think it's terrible that we have lost family traditions to cheap material possessions. I was a child in the 60's and so remember the big excitement that lead up to the pending holiday's! We all survived without shopping on Thanksgiving and are probably better for it. My family and friends mean so much more than a discounted toaster or cheap T.V. I'll have those memories long after that T.V or toaster is gone! May you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Miss Patti! Your memories sound wonderful also and how sweet of you to share your thoughts. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving Day!

      Delete
  2. What a thoughtful post and oh so TRUE ! SO you ate a sister blogget herevin Texas! Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment . Now i can follow YOU !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Yes indeed, a fellow Texan Blogger! So enjoy your blog and am glad you paid a visit to Estelle's!

      Delete
  3. This is not the fist time I have read similar things lately. The times they have changed..this was a very thought provoking post. I love it. It said it all and said very well! I don't get out in the shopping crowds..it's just gotten to be too much.
    It's such a beautiful season. I am glad my family tends to follow the old traditions. Makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading your beautiful Thanksgiving post and then saw this one at the end. This one is so very true and and one that needs to be posted again. This is so true. I remember the day being so special also when I was younger, breaking of the wishbone, playing outside in the leaves, Daddy and football. Gosh what a good time that was. We as a family were so very truly Thankful.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often read this post I wrote a few years back Betsy...you are right....I should repost this maybe next year...so glad it reminded you of childhood and the sweet memories you hold of your family....hugs dear one.

      Delete

I so love receiving your thoughts and comments. I also hope you found something that made you smile.